Rick Sherman of the Data Doghouse has compiled Google spreadsheets tracking Business Intelligence/Data Warehousing– and Software as a Service-related stocks. Perhaps not surprisingly, they are faring better than the market as a whole.
(If you’re unfamiliar with the GoogleFinance functions, these spreadsheets actually refresh, unlike the ones on your desktop.)
I am not surprised for a few reasons.
- Business Intelligence is frequently cited as the top technological initiative in organizations, regardless of ups and downs in the market
- Well-run data warehousing implementations have high ROI and can help identify “found money”
- Business Intelligence expedites decisionmaking and empowers decisionmakers to find their own answers, which are critical in a volatile market
- SaaS is ostensibly a way to get BI for your company without adding significantly to your staff or spending money to train your existing staff on new technologies
- Perhaps there is some even anticipation of stimulus money making its way to these companies in the IT-related initiatives (enormous stimulus visualization from the Washington Post here)
Nice work, Rick.